Question:
whats the law in reguards to killing and eating swans?
dantherandommanapple
2006-08-23 10:30:57 UTC
I'm not to sure but don't all swans that live in England belong to the queen and if you kill one, you will be given punishment of death.

I'm only asking because a couple of refugee's killed and ate a swan (because they had nothing else to eat) -'' what happened to the food stamps hey?''
25 answers:
2006-08-23 10:38:13 UTC
You're right only the royal family can eat swan. Something to do with a superstition about when all the swans are gone the royal family will fall, so i'm guessing a bernard matthews franchaise is not in the forseeable future.

Also Swan is supposed to taste awful i heard it from an aussie friend of mine, not sure how she knew!
tunisianboy46
2006-08-23 17:48:40 UTC
The killing of any swan within the UK is governed by statue. Even accidental deaths must be reported to the police. As for the penalty for killing one deliberately is certainly not death (High Treason, Mutiny with Violence, Arson of a royal Naval port, and piracy on the high seas are the four crimes which have got a mandatory death penalty) but you can be sent to prison for it though.

You must not eat such meat until the Crown has given permission to do so.
Si R
2006-08-23 17:35:58 UTC
"Punishment of death...???" You don't even get that for killing and eating the entire Royal Family, let alone a Swan. (You might get a medal for bravery if you managed a whole "Princess Michael of Kent" mind you.)

You can eat swan in the UK, but you have to get permission from the Queen first.
Sally J
2006-08-23 17:34:27 UTC
As far as I am aware they belong to the Queen. How dare these people kill and eat our swans. Were they reported and caught and punished?
2006-08-24 14:02:58 UTC
It is inaccurate to say that all swans belong to the Queen. two livery companies of the City of London, the Worshipful Company of Vintners and the Worshipful company of Dyers, also own swans in London. See the link below:

http://www.vintnershall.co.uk/
blondie
2006-08-23 17:40:09 UTC
Yes it is against the law to kill swans as they are a protected species in this Country - I think you get a hefty fine and have to do community service as a punishment.
cognito44
2006-08-23 17:33:29 UTC
Only the Queen can eat swan apparently.
2006-08-23 17:49:24 UTC
In America, swans are a protected species and the fine for killing one is substantial.
Croeso
2006-08-23 17:39:56 UTC
It is illegal to kil or eat swans, but not punishment by death, this is extraordinary, its big bird ti kill, and very cruel, coz this time of the year, its mating time and babies are going to die without mum, if itas female, I feel sorry these folk have no food, but what happened to Welfare???
loverbird20032003
2006-08-23 17:36:52 UTC
They do belong to the crown but if they had nothing else to eat and were hungry enough to Kill and eat it, as long as they didnt waste any of the eatable parts then i dont see anything wrong with it. We kill cows and pigs and no one complanes about that so......
Catwhiskers
2006-08-24 12:31:00 UTC
I dont think you can be put to death any more but you are right that the swans are protected by the crown.
Tallulah
2006-08-23 17:43:48 UTC
They belong to the queen and only she has the right to kill u.
nuclear farter
2006-08-24 18:45:05 UTC
elizabeth windsor owns 'em. i think they're a protected species in most of europe. tough wee buggers they are too wouldnt have been an easy job to catch and kill
Rich S
2006-08-23 17:38:46 UTC
Mmmm.

Swan

Probably tastes like Goose, they would need a big oven.
silconbob
2006-08-23 17:45:16 UTC
" Death" send them back from were they came and eat they own swans
2006-08-23 17:37:29 UTC
only the queen and cambridge university are allowed and i doubt if these immigrants are at university !

remember the film with david jason, 'porterhouse blues'
rustyshackleford001
2006-08-23 17:33:38 UTC
You have to kill them first before you eat them.
Vickezo
2006-08-23 17:33:47 UTC
god no you can`t kill swans that is againt the law.
Mike T
2006-08-23 17:35:48 UTC
If you manage to make it look like the bird flu did it, you might get away with it...
Squiddly Diddly
2006-08-23 17:39:55 UTC
You can only legally eat them with mayonnaise. Salad cream is illegal.
ah64dtk
2006-08-23 17:53:23 UTC
you could all the rspca and tell them what heppened but i dont think they realy do to many exicutions any more. but its worth looking in to it.
welsh_witch_sally
2006-08-23 17:33:10 UTC
yes, they do belong to the crown
Abularaby
2006-08-23 20:20:33 UTC
It tastes delicious!
2006-08-23 17:36:49 UTC
How the hell did they fit it in the oven??
tecsklls9
2006-08-23 17:36:36 UTC
dunno - never heard of any laws against swans.